Roof inspection and cleaning are some of the essential tasks that you need to do regularly. For some homes, they need to do it every two to three years. But others will need to inspect and clean their roof more frequently. The moment you notice algae, lichen, or moss on your siding or roof, you know that it’s time to hire professional help from Destin FL home services.
There are two ways to clean your roof – pressure washing and chemical washing. It is crucial that you know which one do you need specifically for your roof type. So here are the most important things that you need to know about these two options:
Table of Contents
Pressure washing is one of the most effective methods that can be done to ensure that your roof is clean and free from mold and other buildups. This is done using a high-pressure water spray to remove loose paint, grime, mold, dust, mud, and dirt buildup. This method is also called “power washing.”
Most homeowners prefer to hire professional pressure-washing service providers simply because they have the right equipment and experience in cleaning roofs. But if you want to do it on your own, here’s what you can do:
- You will need a 35-degree spray nozzle, a pressure washer hose, and a cleaning solution on the pressure washer.
- Use your ladder so you can reach the roof without damaging the edges. Make sure that you are at the highest point of the roof and on the farthest side away from the ladder.
- Avoid stepping on wet roof areas because algae can become very slippery. You have to start at the top of the roof and then work your way down.
- Avoid the tiles or sheets because once the water gets into it, the water can enter the roof decking and start fungal growth.
- Wash the roof in sections – from top to bottom, then side to side.
- Start working your way back to the ladder so you can go down once finished.
Another effective method of cleaning the roof is chemical cleaning. This can be a complicated process since you will be using chemicals to wash the roof. But if you want to give it a try, then here’s what you can do:
- Mix chemical product with water (1:7 ratio) and pour the solution into the pump sprayer.
- With your body safely strapped in a full-body harness, climb the roof.
- Spray the roof with water to cool it down before you start applying the cleaner.
- Spray a large area of the roof. You can start from the bottom and work your way to the top.
- Spray until you see the runoff.
- If you notice any dry areas, respray them.
- After 20 minutes, rinse the cleaner off.
If you want to clean your roof on your own, make sure that you do not do it alone. It can be very challenging and life-threatening. Remember that you are a couple of meters up there, and a simple mistake can put your life in danger. This is why many homeowners prefer to hire professionals to have this done for them. The professional roof cleaners know what they are doing and have years of experience in cleaning roofs.