Cleaning of gutters and drains in a private house or in the country is carried out in the warm season. Most pollution is a mixture of sand, dust and leaves brought by the wind. It is advisable to carry out the procedure in early spring, when the snow has already melted, or in autumn. In summer, structures should be periodically inspected for accumulation of branches and foliage, bird nests. Ice also creates certain problems for the normal flow of water.
What causes a clogged gutters and drains
Lack of attention to the problem of maintenance of clogged structures for draining water can lead to unpleasant and quite costly consequences, in particular, repairs to the roof or walls of the house. Regular cleaning of gutters and gutters is essential for a number of good reasons:
- overflowing moisture can spoil and wash away the foundation, as well as get inside the house through the walls and ceiling;
- unable to withstand the high load in the form of accumulations of debris and dirt, the gutter structure will fail and collapse;
- in the warm season, fungi and mold actively develop in the accumulated congestion, further hitting the walls of the house, and in drought and heat, leaves and branches can simply burst into flames.
We will talk further about how to clean the gutters on the house. You can find more information of gutter cleaning follow the link https://windowwashingexpert.com/gutter-cleaning/.
The main methods of cleaning gutters and drainage systems
Proper cleaning of gutters is the key to the durability of the roof and the house itself. Performing this work at any time of the year, you should initially fill the entire system with water. At the same time, in summer you can use any water from a hose, in winter – preferably warm. Water streams will soften the dirt and then it will be easier to remove it.
Gutter cleaning is carried out in the following main ways:
- With the help of specialized robots. These are devices that greatly simplify and speed up the whole process. The device weighs no more than 1 kilogram and is only 56 cm long. The device not only cleans drainage systems, but also determines the number of passes required for a complete cleaning. It is operated both in wet cavities and in filled with water.
- Telescopic brushes. For quick cleaning of waste tubules by hand, special brushes with a retractable handle are used. Tool length – up to 5 meters, the angle of inclination is adjustable. Design features allow you to climb into the farthest corner, so cleaning gutters and gutters from leaves and debris without additional equipment will not cause any special problems.
- System purge. If cleaning the pipes with brushes is not possible or they have a large number of bends, the work can be carried out using a powerful air stream. Blowers are electric, battery and gasoline. Use the device in dry weather so that the debris can be blown away more easily.
- Washing with Karcher. One of the easiest ways, if it is possible to move around the roofing. After the preliminary removal of large debris, the gutters are simply washed with water pressure.
- Hand tools. Regular cleaning of roofs from debris and drainage is possible without the use of specialized equipment. All you need is a ladder, a scoop or wooden spatula tool that fits the size of the gutters, trash bags, and gloves. When clearing congestion, it is undesirable to use metal tools. First, remove all large objects from the surfaces, including branches and dirt blockages. Carefully remove the blockage from the pipes without pushing it deep inside.
You can take care of the systems yourself or with the help of professional gutter cleaning service near you https://windowwashingexpert.com/gutter-cleaning/gutters-drains-lake-forest/ by scheduling the maintenance of the roof of the building.
The choice of gutters depending on the roofing materials
When developing a project for the construction of drains, pay attention not only to the material of manufacture of the latter, but also to compatibility with the roofing. Then the maintenance and repair of the roof along with gutters will not cause any inconvenience. Water drainage systems are of 2 main types:
- Metal. Of the advantages: durability, resistance to temperature extremes, mechanical strength and resistance to sunlight. The disadvantages include difficulties in installation and the appearance of corrosion.
- Plastic. They meet all the advantages listed for metal structures, plus they are light in weight and easy to install.
It is plastic that is best suited for quick and easy roofing and will challenge you with the task of “how to clean the gutter on the roof” so as not to damage the roofing.
Optimal roofing coverage: what is it?
Today on the market of roofing materials in Moscow one of the most popular bituminous shingles is considered. Its main advantages include:
- service life – up to 60 years;
- high aesthetic characteristics;
- compatibility with any drains – metal and plastic;
- ease of operation;
- frost resistance;
- wind resistance.
Despite the strength and high technical characteristics, the material is also subject to destruction caused by strong winds, hail, snow blockages, ice. On the surface of the roof of a building, moss from wind-blown seeds can sprout. The frequency of cleaning the roof depends on the degree of contamination of the canvas, the appearance of ice or snowdrifts, the frequency of processing gutters. It is advisable to combine roof care with cleaning gutters and pipes for the following reasons:
- garbage cleaned from the roof will in any case accumulate in the gutters, and it is best to empty them immediately;
- you will do 2 necessary things at once and you won’t have to return to this issue again.
Care and maintenance of the roof in the warm season can be carried out with blowers or a simple brush. Bituminous shingles and many other materials can be periodically cleaned with detergents and antibacterial compounds.
Roof maintenance in winter should be more careful. On the icy surface it is impossible to work with metal tools. A telescopic brush, plastic or wooden shovel is best. When cleaning the roof from snow, it is advisable to leave a few centimeters of the surface untouched so as not to violate the integrity of the roofing sheet.