Spiders do not deliberately attack humans. Most spider bites happen when humans inadvertently trap or brush up against a spider, which then bites back.
However, most spiders have too little or mild venom to be deadly to humans. In the large majority of cases, spider bites occur unintentionally, are harmless, and are not medically significant.
The best thing to do for spider control and minimizing structural damage is to hire a professional.
An overview of spider bite symptoms
The majority of spider bites are generally innocuous and may not result in any symptoms. Some spider bites can be mistaken for bites from other bugs or insects, as well as skin illnesses. If you get bitten by a spider, the following are the most typical symptoms:
- Rashes or itching
How should you respond to a spider bite?
- It’s best to bring the spider you think has bitten you to your doctor so they can determine the appropriate action based on the type of spider bit you.
- Make sure the spider bite site is thoroughly cleaned with soap and water.
- Using a dampened cloth or ice, apply a cold compress to the area where the spider has bitten you.
- If the bite is on an extremity and you assume it is from a black widow or brown recluse spider, elevate it.
- Tie a firm bandage above the bite and elevate the arm or leg to delay or stop the spread of the venom. Ensure the dressing isn’t so tight that it prevents blood flow to your arm or leg.
- In most cases, spider bites can be relieved with aspirin, acetaminophen, or antihistamines in adults (but use caution if giving aspirin to children or teenagers).
- Seek medical attention if the symptoms of a spider bite are severe or worsen for longer than 24 hours.
When Should You Be Concerned About Spider Bite Symptoms?
Over 24 hours, a local reaction may require medical attention. There might also be increased discomfort, numbness, or tingling around the bite, or a halo or bull’s-eye discoloration surrounding the bite.
Be alert if you have generalized spider bite symptoms. It has been reported that spider bites (which are generally harmless) have caused allergic reactions, including anaphylactic shock, a life-threatening condition (similar to what may occur following stings from bees or wasps in a highly allergic individual).